Wednesday 14 October 2015

I dedicated this morning to some birding, in an effort to catchup with what species I need for the Island.  Having visited 3 spots: Neck Point Park, Pipers Lagoon and Buttertubs Marsh, I was able to see ~50 species.  This is no great accomplishment as there are many more species of birds in the area..but it is not a bad morning of birding.

Neck Point Park

First, I must say, this is one of the nicest parks I have visited in Nanaimo, there are likely equally as beautiful parks in the area, but I have not yet visited them.  The park has many trails, one that goes along the shore line and many that pass through the park interior.  Possibly, what made this park so pleasant, aside from the birding, was the many vantage points along the shore line to give birders great views.




There were many good birds to be seen as well, with Black Oystercatcher (Haematopus bachmani), Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus), Pelagic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pelagicus) and California Gull (Larus californicus) topping the list.

 BLOY and HADU hanging out

 PECO showing nicely

 CAGU being very photo friendly

Pipers Lagoon

Although less birdy, this was a pleasant quick hike with a couple nice suprise birds including Pacific Loon (Gavia pacifica), and Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta).  There are also a pair of resident bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) nesting in the area. 


  BAEA has the best vantage point in the area

 It took a while, but this WEME finally allowed me to photograph it

Buttertubs Marsh

I was starting to get hungry and thirsty, but I wanted to swing by the Marsh (only an 8 minute drive from my place) to see what birds could be found.  Lighting was not ideal for photographing birds, so this section will be shy on bird photos.  That being said, I did take some habitat photos.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment